Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Craftiness

My sister is going to Shanghai, China for a month this summer. She'll be teaching elementary age children English by day, sightseeing and exploring by night. She's thrilled at the opportunity, but a bit nervous about being so far away from home for such a long time.

Here's where the crafty bits come in. She asked me to knit up the backgammon board and checkers board with carrying bags from Weekend Knitting for the trip. Well, I'll admit to amazing time-bending powers, but it just isn't going to happen. Far too much to do between now and July 11th, and for once I'm going to take the sane route and demur. However, that doesn't mean I still can't make up both boards some other way. I'm thinking applique, mainly out of my fabric stash if possible. A two-sided board with backgammon on one side and a checkers board on the other with a matching bag for the board, beads/buttons/markers of some sort, cards, and any other game type things she wants to take wouldn't be hard at all.

On to details. Thought I'd start looking for dimensions and what each board should look like so I can start sketching and planning. Googled and voila, backgammon board! Also found rules to play with in PrintShop, pretty up, and tuck inside. The checkers board is simple: 64 equal sized squares. I think she knows how to play ;-)