Monday, October 24, 2005

Shopping spree

$74.01

That bought me:
1 1/2 pounds Fuji apples
celery
red leaf lettuce
large lobok (variant of Daikon radish)
green onions
ginger
bok choy
pound of bean sprouts
2 large onions
2 medium tomatoes on the vine
2 pounds carrots
bag of salad - spring mix
dozen eggs
3/4 pound jack cheese
4 small frozen cheese pizzas
5 fruit leathers
1 quart milk
1 pound frozen blackberries
box of cereal
1/2 gallon soy milk
bag of sesame crackers
1 can frozen white grape juice
2 pounds fresh Chinese egg noodles
2 packages of cheese & crackers
Windex Multi-Task Spray Cleaner
large bag yukon gold potato chips (Terra brand...love these things)
2 pounds mozzarella cheese (some for pizza this week, the rest will be shredded and frozen)
2 Lunchables (vile, nasty things - they were free and were purchased solely because I know my son won't like them and therefore won't ask for them again)
1/2 gallon fresh orange juice
10 pack of frozen bean & cheese burritos
box of frozen waffles (yeah, yeah, I usually make these, honest)
2 bags frozen bagels - 1 Everything, 1 plain
2 packages Klondike bars :-)
Pyrex pie pan (part of a Christmas present for my sister who loves to bake)
Baker's Secret mini loaf pan (part of a Christmas present for my SIL)
Oxy-Clean (if you have children or pets or are less than graceful, you want some of this)
12 pack Diet Dr. Pepper (Dan loves this stuff and drinks it for the caffeine. I think it tastes like cough syrup)
5 pounds unbleached flour
2 stain pens - one tucked into my purse, the other waiting as backup
1 pound bacon (mmmm...bacon...)
2 pork and vegetable bao (wonderful, fluffy, savory treats - my grocery shopping snack)

All of this is enough to suppliment what's in my refrigerator, deep freeze, and pantry for the next week. I feed a family of four on around $75 a week, which blows my mind even though I'm the one doing it.

Here's our menu for this week:

breakfasts
for the boys: pancakes, waffles, french toast, cereal, depending on the day (the pancakes and french toast I made ahead and froze), juice, fruit
me: eggs, apples, tea
Dan: veggie sausage, sprouted wheat bagels (some leftover in the fridge), juice

lunch
boys: Ryan usually has pizza, fruit or some veggies, a fruit leather, and water to drink. He had a Lunchable today - waiting to see what he thought (guessing he hated it - if so, score 1 for mom!) Arden usually has almond butter, cheese, crackers, apple slices, etc.
me: leftovers, cottage cheese, salad
Dan: I make and freeze extra portions of dinners as I make them, he pulls one out for lunch and adds fruit and some crackers

dinner
I always menu plan, but nothing is assigned any particular day and the produce depends on what's in season and what looks great at the store when I shop.

* pizza (homemade crust and sauce) with cheese, onions & garlic, green salad
* stir fried chicken with egg noodles and dark soy, bok choy with garlic
* teriyaki chicken, rice balls, braised lobok (for a picnic in the park after watching Curse of the Were-Rabbit)
* taco salad (refried beans, spanish rice (from scratch), sauteed corn kernels, assorted veggies, cheese, sour cream, salsa, and avocado)
* chana dal with herbs, cabbage with mustard seeds, basmati rice
* frozen dinners (we have some Marie Calendar dinners that need using up so we can empty the freezer a bit)
No 7th dinner planned - we're going to a party at a friend's house next Saturday so no dinner planned then. I will be making a panna cotta brain for it, though.